Monday, June 22, 2009

It Makes Me Sad...

People are so astounded when I tell them I'd like more children. "WHY would you want to do that?!?" they ask with shocked faces. That makes me sad. Why, you ask?

My children are a lot of work. I'd say 90%+ of my time and energy are dedicated to my family right now. For the moment, gone are my days of consistently sleeping through the night and sleeping in the next morning. Gone are our days of hitting a Friday night movie or going out for a nice meal at a sit-down restaurant. Gone are a lot of things Jaron and I enjoyed before we had kids.

So WHY would I want more?

I find the truest and sweetest joy in my kids and our family life. I find enough there that it makes me want to be a mother all over again. By replacing ME-ness with FAMILY-ness, I feel like I'm replacing good things in my life for better things. I feel like the best thing I can do with my time and energy is be a mother and raise up good children. There are lots of other things I could be doing right now, things that many people would tell me are a better use of my time. Instead, I spend most of my time within the four walls of my own house making it a home for my boys. And that makes me happy. My life has fullness and meaning largely because our little family.

The Savior said, "For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it." (Luke 9:24) For me, this seems to apply to motherhood as well. My life isn't about ME right now and somehow, that has made ME more of the person I want to be.

Please don't take this post as giving myself a pat on the back. I am far from a perfect mother and I certainly struggle sometimes to meet the demands. I guess I just feel frustrated that in so many people's eyes motherhood has been reduced to menial labor. Also, I hope that by writing these thoughts down I'll be better able to express them the next time I'm confronted by the next incredulous person!

6 comments:

supersheffam said...

I agree with you Becky. And I want to know why is it that when people find out I have 3 boys they feel sorry for me & immediately ask if we're going to try for a girl? Yes, we will be having more children, yes, I would like a girl to hang out with ;D, yes, my boys are a handful, but I wouldn't change my boys for girls any day! And why don't moms of little girls get asked the same questions? :D

Christal said...

Thanks for the awesome perspective! So glad that you put it down! I will probably read it a few more times!!! :)

Kimberly said...

Becky you have such a way with words! I feel the same way you do but I have never been able to express it that well!

Tyler and Kristin Smith said...

Beck-ster:
One of those things of "living in the world, but not being like the world". Being a mother is a rewarding thing - most don't view it as such though. It is a lot of work, but the joy that comes with it is worth it. You're a great mom - feel free to give yourself a pat on the back. I said so!!

R&A said...

It makes me sad too, wow, I don't even have kids and I just wanna beat peoples faces in that say to you, why would you want more. Why does it matter to them. Love the post and thanks for the insight!

Hillary said...

Hey, I'm Kimberly Lynn's sister, I met you once when you guys were roommates and I wanted to see how you guys were doing. I just wanted to say thank you for that blog. It was exactly what I needed to hear. Congrats on the coming little girl! Hillary