Sweet
little Eli has always been very attached to his Mama, a "phase" that I
keep thinking will surely end soon. He's refused to go to his church
class for over a year now. At first I forced him to go and Jaron would
go with him. Every week it was the horriblly emotional separation for
him so after awhile I decided I wasn't going to force him - that he
would go on his own when he was ready to go. That was fine when I was a
CTR 7 teacher and he could just come along to my class. Now that I'm
the primary chorister, it's been a little more trying to have my four-
almost five-year-old tugging at my skirt while I'm trying to lead and
teach music!
Lately
he's been more attached than ever; refusing to go anywhere without me,
even to preschool or to friends' houses or to birthday parties. At the
gym he refuses to go to child care and instead sits in the corner of the
room while I run on the treadmill. He's always been a Mama's boy but
it's never been this bad. Awhile ago my father-in-law pointed
out that he's had a lot of changes in his short little life (he's lived
in two countries and three different states!) and the only constant
thing has been me (Jaron often puts in long days). That insight helped
me to have some patience with his need to be near me but lately I've
about gone over the edge! I don't know if it's because Jaron's been
gone so much or because over the last few weeks he came and went, then
came and went, then came and went again. Whatever the reasons behind
it, it has been a trying few weeks!
Today
Eli and I had the opportunity to go to Hallmark to do a research study
together. We dropped Gracen off at a friend's house and went a little
early so that we could hit a candy store we knew was nearby. It was so
neat to spend the afternoon with just Eli - that certainly hasn't
happened very often!! He was a little chatterbox the entire time. He
talked the entire drive into downtown. When we got there, he talked
about things he was imagining as we walked along: that the sidewalk
cracks would open up and swallow the buildings, that the smeared art on
the wall was because a tornado was about to swallow up the buildings in
the picture, etc. He has quite the imagination! He had a great time
being able to pick out whatever he wanted at the candy store. The
one-on-one time helped us to reconnect in an unhurried way and I'm
absolutely grateful that I got to spend this afternoon with my sweet
little Eli!
Being
with him reminded me of how a few weeks ago we had walked to Wal-mart
(less than a mile from our house). On the way there, we noticed how
much garbage was caught in the trees of the park we walk by. When we
passed a big paint bucket, Eli said, "We should pick up the garbage and
put it into that bucket." I told him that it was a good idea and that
we could do it on the way back if we hurried. So Eli chose not to look
at the toys at the store so that we could have enough time to pick up
the garbage. On the way home, we filled the bucket and then some! I
was so proud of my little guy. Then when we got home, I was telling him
what a good choice he had made that day and he said, "Is that like
choosing the right?" Haha, yes it is, Eli!
I sure love my sweet little Eli!
3 comments:
Aw that is so sweet! He seems like the nicest little boy!
you are the best mom!! you're kids sound so sweet!!
What a good boy. It is hard when they don't want to leave you. Enjoy it becuse it won't be that way forever. I know it isn't easy thought. Something I tried with Stella; she was very much the same way. I left the choice up to her. I told her that I would be leaving her, but she needed to make a big decision. I needed her to decide how many hugs and how many kisses she would have before I left. This helped her; she felt like she was in control. Sometime it took my five minutes to offer up the 15 hugs and 12 kisses, but it was worth it.
Post a Comment