Thursday, May 14, 2009

Humidity


Like I mentioned before, my first thought when we got off the airplane on St. Maarten was HOLY COW, it's HUMID. Well, although it hit me like a brick wall, I really had no idea.


I have done laundry twice since we've got here. Although I am blessed to have a washing machine like I'm used to, it is still a 3 day process BECAUSE...I have to air dry the clothes. Let's take this week's experience, for instance. The first load I washed went great. It happened to be sunny and windy for a morning and the clothes dried in a matter of a few hours. My next load, however, didn't dry by the end of that day. I left them out on the line and, of course, it rained that night. It stayed rainy off and on for the next 3 days. At first I played along and brought the clothes in the house during the rain and then re-hung them outside when it was only partially cloudy. Then I got tired of that game and just hung them all over my house - over curtain rods, lampshades, bed posts, you name it. It's 3 days later and I still have socks draped all over my couches. Bottom line: by the time the clothes dried, they stunk as bad as they did before I washed them. Sigh. BUT, please don't think I'm complaining. There's some conveniences I'm giving up for an amazing experience!

6 comments:

Michele said...

Wow you get to see first hand how lucky we are for living in the United States. Just reading stories from your blog has made me realize that I have a million blessings that I don't necessarily see all the time.

Kimberly said...

That is so crazy Becky. I don't know how you are doing it except that you are an awesome person! And it really does make me think about all the millions of things I have that make my life easier that I take for granted.

Unknown said...

Wow, that's crazy. Yeah, we sure do have it easy up here, eh.

Barbi said...

The picture of the humidity reminds me of how it looked when I was on vacation in North Carolina. The humidity wasn't the only part of it though, it was 114* outside at the same time. It was like being in a sauna the whole day. We knew the sun was shining but never saw it for about three days straight. Then it would let up for a few days at a time. Memories.

Carrie said...

Loving your adventures!

The Brunson Family said...

Ahh! the smell of mold! my mission stuff stills smells like mold (my suits, having been dry cleaned still smell moldy) My shoes (leather is the only way to avoid mold) ne ways at first it is repugnant, then comical, then it will be enviting I PROMISE- you will treasure it someday.