Sunday, February 24, 2013

Snow Day


I'll be honest, when the weatherman in Kansas starts talking about a "major winter storm" Jaron and I don't get that worked up.  We both grew up with way more snow than ever happens here. 

On Wednesday night we went to bed making bets about how much of the 6-12 inches we'd actually get.  At first Jaron bet an inch.  When I bet 3-4 inches, he changed his mind to 5-6.  The loser had to put the kids to bed by themselves the next night.  

The next morning there was the faintest dusting of snow and we laughed to ourselves that they had cancelled school the night before, before a flake had ever fallen.  At 7:30 AM it started to snow pretty heavy, though, and three hours later we were amazed to be sitting under a good foot of snow.

(This picture was taken two days later - I was impressed that they had plowed our roads by then!)
 As soon as the snow stopped, Jaron went outside and got to work.  He ended up spending three hours shoveling our whole building and a few more neighbors.  He's just awesome like that.

He was sore for three days. :)
 When it was a little warmer the next afternoon we "hit the slopes" outside our back door.  Jaron had to go down the hill a few times to pack down a path for the sleds, there was just too much snow otherwise!




 Poor Gracen had to be carried everywhere. The snow was too deep for her to walk. 
She thought the snow in her gloves was delicious.
 Eli, who is incredibly in tune with others' needs, was quite concerned about our cars being under so much snow.  He worked diligently to take care of that.
 Nothing like finishing off a wintry day with a family movie!  I love how they all found the same seat. :)  Don't mind the mess behind them, that's simply because we had, of course, bagged and boxed up our snow stuff into the shed just a week ago.
 Tonight the weatherman's predicting another 8-15 inches tomorrow!!


P.S.  In a totally unrelated story, this made me crack up so I snapped a picture.  One night Eli came down dressed in his "jammies" which actually turned out to be Gracen's pants (Daddy's been helping with the laundry).  He was upset I wouldn't let him wear them to bed: "But they fit!!"

3 comments:

Ben Rowley said...

He looks awesome in his sisters pants:-)

Tyler and Kristin Smith said...

I was laughing at your bet with jaron - tyler and I totally do the same!
SNOW holy moly!
Looked like a whole bunch of fun.
Miss you girl!

Christal said...

Oh my goodness, so much snow! I'm only a little glad I'm not dealing with it this year. You guys are great fun...and of course, Gracen eating snow made me laugh outright. :)