Saturday, March 4, 2017

Grandpa's Birthday Party

My sisters and I put on a 90th birthday party for Grandpa Allred while we were in Canada.  While Grandpa was so excited about this party, there was some confusion in the family as to who was actually putting it on so Genny and Cassy and I decided to take it on.  It ended up being more expensive than we thought it'd be and a lot of work but it made my grandpa SO happy so it was so, so worth it. Then when he passed in December, I became all that more grateful that we'd been able to celebrate him.

We sent out invites and put on a dinner of pulled pork wraps.  My Dad and Robin, Grandpa's two surviving children (Melinda passed away from ovarian cancer in 1983 in her early 30s), did a life history/biography and then my grandpa got to stand up and give his life story/advice to the crowd.  It was well attended - about 70 people came.

Cassy had the great idea of hiring a photographer to get some family pictures done at the event.  I am so grateful now that she had that insight!!

My siblings and I.  Me, Dustin, Genevieve, Jason, Cassandra.


This is Larry Schnieder's family, I think. Eee, I'm going to have to ask my dad again, haha.  If I remember right, Larry Schneider is my Grandpa's nephew.  They traveled all the way from BC to be there so it was really nice of them to come support Grandpa!

The young great-grandkids.

Brielle, Brinley, Whitney, Eden, Gracen, Eli, Adelyn, my cousin Gaelen's daughter, Alden, Reed.

Alden.  The ruiner of all our family photos for the last few years. :( 

My grandpa is such a neat guy.  So many life experiences that took him all over the world on the oil rigs, from Germany to Saudi Arabia, to Chile.  He's always so positive and upbeat. Love him for that.

Dustin and his bride-to-be, Violeta, who is super cute and sweet.

Grandpa and Robin's family who made it.
John and his wife, Harry, Robin, Gaelin and his daughter and wife.

My grandpa is such a stud.  He has outlived two wives and this is Guila, his girlfriend.  
Can't you just tell she is sweet and fun?

My sister, Genny, and her family.  Mckay came but had to leave early for his cousin's wedding reception.

My sister Cassy and her husband Jarom.  I know, we married a Jaron and a Jarom.  None of my family can keep that straight. :D

Grandpa and his two surviving children, my dad and his older sister Robin.

Grandpa's posterity from my dad.
Grouping everyone in two rows, left to right: Back: Violetta, Dustin, Jarom, Cassy, Irina, Dad, Randel, Jason, Genny holding Bronson, me holding Adelyn.
Front: Eli, Guila, Alden, Grandpa, Brinley, Brielle, Gracen, Reed, Jaron, Eden.
Missing: Mckay (Genny's husband) and Jason's other son, James.

1 comments:

Kimberly said...

What a great idea to have a photographer there to capture all those family pictures. I'm glad you got to see your grandpa before he passed.