We're here! And we FINALLY have internet in our apartment! Here's the low-down on our adventure. We picked up the moving truck on Thursday and Cassy (my sister who'd come from Canada to help us out), Jaron and I loaded most of our stuff onto the truck. Our neighbors, Joe and Raul, showed up later that afternoon with muscles for the big furniture (thank you!!). All that day Alden had a high fever and was crying/whiny/sleepy. I hoped the sleepy part would extend through our drive Friday but no luck. Friday morning we left bright and early by 5:30 AM for what turned out to be an exceptionally long day (which I documented because I'm such a great blogger now! Unfortunately, I'm not a great enough blogger to know how to do slideshows yet. Any help there would be appreciated!). We first stopped in the middle of nowhere Kansas for a great and healthy breakfast at McDonald's. (Note: the Deluxe Breakfast is the item highest in calories on the entire menu. Yeah. And Alden and I ate it.) We couldn't find Alden's shoes in the car but carried him in there anyway. The next time we stopped in the middle of nowhere, we found the biggest slide I've ever seen. Must've been built in my generation, before safety was a concern. :-) Still no shoes for Alden. We called Jaron and he swore he'd put them in our toy bag in the back seat. Hmmm... Our third stop found us a fabulous playground which Alden enjoyed despite still being shoeless. It was after this stop that Eli threw up for the first time. Yes, he had Alden's sickness but was unfortunately not as sleepy. By this time, Jaron was well ahead of us, despite his going 55 MPH due to towing our car behind him (It also inspired him to slow down after he filled the gas tank at not even halfway through the trip for $170!). We get back on the road and Jaron calls to ask if we'd hit the hail yet. Hail?!? It's 75 degrees (27 celsius) where we are! Apparently it hailed really hard on Jaron and there was a huge 8 car pile-up right in front of him. Somehow Jaron and the 26 foot Penske make it through safely. (Thank you for everyone's prayers!) We took pictures of the hail and the snowplough but couldn't get the shredded up trees. Yes, a snowplough in June! Welcome to Colorado!! We finally pull into Castle Rock around 5:30 pm and unload just the necessities to make it through the night. What a day!!
P.S. Our neighbor, Kim, called us the next day and said she'd found Alden's elusive shoes on the playground behind our old place. Figures!
0 comments:
Post a Comment