Friday, August 29, 2008

An FHE idea.


Alden has entered the age of "why." Why, why, why is all we hear! On Sunday, we were taking the sacrament and after taking the water, Alden turned to me and said, "Why do we drink, momma?" Wow! A big question for such a little boy! So I got thinking about how I could explain the sacrament in a way that a two-year-old could understand. I made this flannel board from a flattened cardboard box (with blue flannel glued on) and cut out pictures from the Ensign magazine of the life of Jesus Christ. I mounted the pictures on cardstock (manilla folders is a cheap way to do this) and then glued flannel patches on the back. It was a great way to give Alden a visual as we described the life of Jesus and it did wonders to help hold his attention during our Family Home Evening on Monday night.
I've also thought this flannel board would be great for older kids to use those stories about Joseph Smith that they have been printing in the Friend magazine. There is a comic-layout story from church history and then a few pages down there are figures to color and cut out and retell the story. How easy it would be to mount the figures onto cardboard and flannel and use the board to tell the story! Cut a strip of green flannel to be "grass" at the bottom and, voila!

4 comments:

Ashlee said...

That is fantastic! Thanks for the idea! Sounds like you all are keeping busy! How is Jaron's practice doing?!

Tyler and Kristin Smith said...

you are a genius! I still wish we could be neighbours - we could do FHE once a month or something! I love reading your blog. You do a great job of it, just like you do with everything!

HLFackrell said...

Great idea!

Unknown said...

Jaron Brunson. What is up? It is your old buddy Eric Luthy!! I googled your name to try to find you and I did. Give me a call or email. 602-367-8012 and eric.luthy@oldcastleapg.com
Kami has a blog thing she started for us its theluthylife.blogspot.com.
Hope to talk to you soon.