Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Some Six Flags Amusement...

One of the first things we did when we moved to Castle Rock was sign up for the summer reading program at the public library. There was only a month left to complete 12 hours of reading but we did it! The prize was a free admission pass to the Six Flags amusement park in Denver, called Elitch Gardens. Because Alden is under 4, he was free anyway so I used his ticket and we got into the park for no $$! All it cost us was a $3.50 train ticket to the park. (Jaron stayed home all day with fussy and sick Eli - sorry Jaron!) We had a blast! I was nervous that there wouldn't be many rides that Alden could ride but I was sure wrong! We hit...

the carousel,
a cool semi-truck ride,
the kiddie bumper cars (Alden did pretty good considering his little foot could barely reach the pedal and he doesn't quite understand "steering!" But this was hands down his favorite ride, surprise, surprise.),
A cute little train (Alden hopped in the front with all these big boys and I asked him if he was sure he wanted to ride there. He said "yes," but when I left him I think he got a little nervous and started peering out the window at me. :-),
the boats (I swear I rode this very same ride as a kid), the ferris wheel, "Around the world in 80 seconds" (hot air balloons), a bus ride that went in the air and made MY stomach flop, the teacups, and the swings. We also had a good time in the "foam factory" where you could shoot little foam balls out of guns all over the place. On some of the rides I discovered that I am getting old - rides that wouldn't have fazed me a few years ago made me a little squirmish in the tummy. And these were the kiddie rides! Geesh! Will I have the guts to hit the roller coaster in 10 years when my kids are old enough?!?

Our tickets included a pass to the connected water park but by the time we hit it, Alden was getting V-E-R-Y sleepy and a little cranky. He was too little to ride on the waterslides anyway but he did enjoy the wave pool and a cool battle ship with smaller slides.

All I have to say is, hooray for the summer reading program! We had a fun, fun day. Next year, I'm signing up Eli too so we all can go for free!!!

7 comments:

Kimberly said...

Holy cow! We have a summer reading program at our library, but they sure as heck don't get anything as cool as what you did at the end! It looks like you and Alden had a lot of fun. Can we sign up at your library next summer? :)

Becky said...

Yes! ;-) And then come visit me and we'll hit the park together!

Christal said...

What a great time! I'm with Kim-what an great reading program...talk about incentive! So glad you got to do that!

Andrea said...

WOW!! How fun. I can't wait to take my kids to an amusement park.

HLFackrell said...

Looks like a lot of fun. I wish they did that here with World's of Fun. I'm sure I could get my kids to read during the summer for that.

Jenny said...

Yeah, you're library is the bomb! Wow, how fun!!

Jessica said...

What a great gift from the library! I think our library gives you a bookmark or something lame like that.