Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Alden Says the Darndest Things

I don't know why, but it seems to be easier to blog than it is to journal. So I want to record some of the hilarious things Alden has said lately. Once that kid started talking, he pretty much never stopped. He is quite the jabbermouth and it keeps us laughing.

One day Alden and I were walking down the steep hill from our friends, the Westwoods', house. Alden was tired so I suggested that we walk down the hill in funny ways to take his mind off how hot and tired he was.
Alden - "Why don't we hop down the hill now?"
Me - "Okay, you hop down the hill but I'll just pretend to hop because I have a baby in my tummy."
Alden thought about that for a minute and then said,
"I know, mommy! You can hop and hop and then the baby will come out of your mouth and will be here!"
Cute kid. I don't know where he got the idea, but he's convinced the baby will come out of my mouth one day.

Yesterday, Alden was whining at me while I was at the computer. I absentmindedly grabbed the arms he was putting in my face and kissed them back and forth.
Alden - "Stop kissing me, I don't have an owie."
Me - "Oh. Am I only allowed to kiss you when you have owies and at bedtime?"
Alden - "Yes, only when I am going sleepies or when I fall down and get owies."
Me - "Oh. That's too bad."

Tonight, we were driving home and for some absentminded reason I signaled around a bend in the road (which I do once in awhile!).
Me - "Oh, I'm so goofy."
Alden - "Why are you Goofy?"
Me - "Because I signaled on that turn and I didn't have to."
Alden (who watches Mickey Mouse Clubhouse) - "But you're not Goofy."
Me - "Well, goofy can be another word for silly. I was being a goof."
Alden - "Oh. Well, you are a goof, but you're not Goofy!"

I've got to add this one that has happened since this post:
Yesterday I made cookies while the boys both napped. When Alden got up, I told him he could have one. When finished it, he asked for a second one and I told him he could have it, but it was the last one. Then I went out to hang the laundry. When I came back in, I was taking cookies off the baking sheet and I noticed a cookie on the cooling rack had a big bite out of it. I picked it up and said,
"Alden, what's this?"
Alden (with his very serious "guilty" face on) - "A broken cookie."
Me - "It looks like a bitten cookie. Did you take a bite out of it?"
Alden - "Yes."
Me - "Why did you do that?"
Alden (with the same serious face) - "Because I just LOVE cookies SO MUCH!"
The poor kid looked like he expected he was going to get in trouble but I couldn't help just laughing. He is so funny! I told him to eat the rest of the cookie.

Sometimes Alden is such a riot!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute, kids say the funniest things!

Tyler and Kristin Smith said...

I love Alden.
He cracks me up too!