Saturday, July 24, 2010

Lately and Starfruit

This week I started our preparations to leave the island.  I did a little deep cleaning in the house, including bleaching the walls.  It's been so rainy and humid lately that every fingerprint that ever graced our walls began to mold.  Crazy, I know.  I also started making signs and preparing to sell our things.

I thought I'd be hitting the cove every other day before we left, but between our car being broken or without gas, and because it's been so rainy and windy, we haven't made it down there in weeks.  We finally got to go on Thursday.  I am sure going to miss the cove!
We went with Heather and Megan and their kids.  It was the most packed I've ever seen the cove.  Child Focus (the island's "summer camp" for kids whose parents work) was down there.  It was a little crazy but we still had a good time.
After we got back from the cove, Alden went out to play with our neighbor, Shaliq, and Eli helped me make dinner while Gracen napped.  It was so nice getting to spend one-on-one with this little guy.  He's such a crack-up.  He made sure to taste each topping before we put it on the pizza, as evidenced by the cheese all over his chin in the second picture.  Pay no attention to the dirty dishes in the sink that I just drew your attention to.  We keep it real on this blog!

Today, I couldn't resist "styling" Gracen's hair.  Since birth she's had this tiny tuft of hair that's been about an inch and a half longer than any of her other hair.  Can anyone say "Alfalfa?"
Speaking of the plastic frog Gracen is mouthing in that picture, we had another frog in our house last night.  They're about that size and I have NO idea how they get in here.  But the kids sure enjoyed the little guy and Alden even caught him in his hands!  I was just grateful it wasn't another cockroach!!  I can't remember if I've told this story on here, but I'm going to tell it again so I have record of it.  A couple of weeks ago, I picked up Gracen in the night and put her on my shoulder.  I bent down to lay her on the couch and I felt something run down my back.  I thought to myself, "That felt like a cockroach."  I flipped on the light and, sure enough, a 2 inch cockroach was scurrying under the couch.  EEK!  I get chills just writing the story!  I will NOT miss the cockroaches when we leave! 


Guess what we found growing in the neighbor's yard today?!  Actually, Heather found them and directed us their way.  STARFRUIT!  I was so excited to not only get to see a starfruit tree, but to pick them and eat some!  The last time I had starfruit was in Jr. High Home Ec when we made fruit pizza (funny what you remember, eh?).
Yum!  They are sweet and sour at the same time - even the kids really like them!

0 comments: