Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A Compliment from a Stranger

Our swimming pass is about to end so we took the kids for a late evening swim last night.  While we were there, an older man came up to us and gave us what I took as a really big compliment that I want to remember.

He started out by asking us if these kids were ours.  When we said they were, he acted surprised and told us,

 "You look like you just got these kids." 

 At first I didn't know what he meant.  Then he explained, saying he'd assumed we were our kids' aunt and uncle because he doesn't see many parents genuinely enjoying their kids like we were. He said he was impressed that we were willing to be so actively engaged with them and speaking to them so kindly.

The incident has been on my mind ever since.  I am far from a model parent but it made me want to be the parent he thinks I am: the one that doesn't take motherhood for granted and therefore treats her children with patience, love, and respect.


3 comments:

AKutarna said...

Ahhh I LOVE THIS! I always love reading or hearing about compliments that strangers give to people! He is right, you guys are amazing parents!

Anonymous said...

That's so cool!! I need to be more attentive about giving compliments to people. We think so many things during the day that would help other people or make their day, but how often do we really say it?

That's SUCH an awesome compliment, by the way. What a cool experience!

Christal said...

THIS is exactly YOU!!! You have an amzing knack/talent/gift for interacting & engaging children. Remember when my girls said that you were like their aunt?? We all miss our "aunt" Becky.