Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Alden's Baptism

In our church we believe that children become ready to choose right from wrong at the age of eight.  At this age, they are given the choice to be baptized.  We believe that children who are under the age of eight are innocent and automatically covered by the Atonement of Jesus Christ.

Alden was SO excited about his baptism in the weeks coming up to it.  We had several family home evenings over the course of the previous year where we talked about baptism and what it means.  We believe that baptism is the first covenant we make with God on this earth and that he in turn makes with us.  We promise God that we will take upon us the name of Jesus Christ, that we will try to keep the commandments, that we will repent when we make mistakes, and that we will serve others.  In return, God gives us membership in his church, gives us the gift of the Holy Ghost as a constant companion, and gives us the opportunity to return to live with Him after we die.  
 I don't know if I've ever been more proud as a mom.  It was so fun to see Alden baptized and to talk to him about his thoughts and feelings about it. Jaron's family came to support us and I can't believe we didn't get any pictures with them!!

Jaron's dad did snap a few of us, though, which is the FIRST family photo of any kind that we've had since Gracen was a baby!!  Shameful, I KNOW!!

P.S.  Do I REALLY have this many kids?!

3 comments:

Tyler and Kristin Smith said...

What a happy day for Alden and your family! Your family of 6 looks beautiful and Becky my dear you are looking happy and gorgeous!!!

Nate, Marie & Lilly said...

congratulations to Alden! That is so exciting. I am excited for Lilly to make that step this year. How did our kids get so old?

Denison's said...

Such a great day for Alden and you guys! I look forward to experiencing that with Abby next year. I am glad you got a family picture!