Awhile back when I did my welfare training for a calling I had in the Relief Society, a man at the cannery said something that struck me. He said that he didn't think the day would ever come where we didn't have access to food, he thought that it would rather be that we just simply won't be able to afford it. Since that day about a year and a half ago, the price of food has sky-rocketed and I'm beginning to think there was definitely something to that statement!
SO...I'm working on our 90-day supply. What I did was make a list of 15 meals that we eat at our house. Most of them were taken from my fabulous crock-pot book (101 Things to Do With a Slow Cooker) because these are meals that can be done in one pot and most ingredients come from a can or package. Then, I multiplied this list by 18 times to come up with a 90-day shopping list. I can't believe how much food it is! If you'd asked me before, I would have thought we had at least a couple of months' worth in our cupboards but when I ransacked my cupboards for what I already had, I actually had a disparingly small amount!
BUT...where to put it all? I made a trip to Lowe's and for $1.38 each, got these lovely half-cinderblocks.
We hoisted up our bed and, voila - instant food storage room! I plan on putting the meals together in apple/diaper boxes under the bed. That way, when I rotate it, I can rotate it a meal at a time easily (I plan on putting a list of the meals on my fridge so that I can frequently choose from them for our weekly meals). Now I plan on stealing my friend Andrea's idea to make a bed skirt out of a flat sheet. I will just make it out of a king sheet instead of a queen sheet so that it falls all the way to the floor, (hopefully) hiding my mini-storage room.
Runters Family Photos
6 days ago
2 comments:
Good idea using the crock pot recipes. I've been trying to figure out how to do that for our family, too. There's definitely no more time to procrastinate getting our food storage ready! We miss you, by the way! :D
you're a genius! I want to get that list from you! Mckay and I have a pretty poor food storage right now (we used most of it before we moved so that we wouldn't have to transport it). I've been buying extra cans at the store, but meals are so much better. I'm impressed with your organization!
Post a Comment