We got back from Idaho last night after a great week at Jaron's parents' house. Instead of working on my big list of unpacking, errands, cleaning, laundry, etc, I am...blogging and e-mailing! It's nice to have my prioritites straight! ;-)
First stop on our trip was a little detour to see my old college roommate, Kim Lynn, and her family in Casper, WY. We stayed overnight at their house and had such a good time! They were so nice to let us intrude on them for a night and we loved it. Kim and I gabbed like old times and Alden didn't want to leave in the morning. Usually when I want to go and he doesn't, I say I'm leaving and he wildly runs after me saying "me too!" When we left the Lynns', Alden just said, "Okay, bye!" so I had to drag him out. He loved playing with their two little girls and running rampant through their house. Thanks again for letting us crash there, Kim and Danen! We might make a habit of it!
We headed to Idaho mostly to visit but also to help the Brunsons with the apple harvest. Jaron's parents are an AMAZING example of provident living. They are not farmers by trade, but they have a 1200 tree apple orchard, peach, pear, and apricot trees, nut trees, grape vines, and two large gardens full of tomatoes, corn, squash, cucumbers and who knows what else! Jaron's Mom bottles many of their fruits and vegetables for storage. His parents make their own apple cider, applesauce, dried fruit, and fruit leather. They have also raised their own pigs and chickens for meat. Jaron's mom once told me that she drew the line at getting a cow. Wow - I'm afraid my line is much higher - all of this is HARD WORK!! But...it is work that has clearly blessed their family, both from the "fruits" of their labors as well as creating a family unity that comes from working side by side.
Jaron spent the week helping his Dad pick apples from the orchard. They also managed to squeeze in a couple of days worth of hunting. Me and the boys hung around with Grandma and the Aunts and found a few things to do in Idaho Falls.
We tried to hit the Idaho Falls Zoo one day, but it ended up being closed. Instead, we walked over to the new playground at Tautphaus Park and went for ice cream after. (It is truly amazing how quickly Alden, Eli and I can polish off a Peanut Buster Parfait from DQ.) We went with two of the sister-in-laws, Kayla and Melissa, and their two little girls, Katelyn (2) and Piper (7 weeks). Jaron's only sister, Alissa, and youngest brother, James, also accompanied us. No offense to the 4 other uncles in Jaron's family, but James (10) is the favorite uncle by far. Come mid-week, I thought I was running out of things to do with the boys. Just then, Jaron's mom asked, "Do you think Alden would enjoy Blast Off?" "What is Blast Off?" I asked. A heaven for Alden, that's what!! It is a huge indoor playground full of ball pits and tunnels and slides and quarter games that you get tickets from to exchange for little prizes. We had, well, a blast!! And, it was cheap - only $3!!
Alden is burying his head in happiness in this picture and Eli is, well, eating a ball. Could he finally be teething?!? (No sign of any teeth yet!!)
The picture above is Alden, Eli and Ben and Melissa's daughter, Katelyn. Katelyn is only 5 months younger than Alden and they hit it off! We miss you Katelyn! (Note Eli mouthing another toy - teeth???)
So...I am realizing that I didn't document this trip with pictures very well. No pictures of the orchard and no pictures with Grandma and Grandpa or the doggies. Not even a picture of all 4 cousins together. Hmmm... Guess we'll just have to go back soon!
3 comments:
Looks like you had a fun time. It is always so fun to go and see family. This made me even more trunky. I am so ready to move back and it looks like our home will be Idaho Falls so you all will have one more family to come and visit. YEAH!! We may even be able to treat you to a Sunday dinner for old time sakes :) Glad you had fun!!
Sounds like a fun visit--that's so awesome that Jaron's parents are so self-reliant. If times get tough, you know where to go!
Looks like a fun trip. How fun for the boys to have cousins to play with!! I can't wait for when they come visit their cousins in canada! They are getting so big!
Post a Comment