Shortly after Christmas we used some Christmas money my mom had sent to get a membership at a nearby gym with a sweet pool.
We've been pretty consistent at hitting the pool. I tried to convince Jaron that it actually saved us money because instead of spending my time going out shopping, we went to the pool instead. ;-)
During our time there each of the kids fell or re-fell in love with the water.
Even I got to spend a few heavenly mornings swimming lengths.
Gracen sometimes spent a lot of time watching AquaFit in the next pool over. I think she learned a few moves. Each lap around the lazy river she'd make me stop, hanging on for dear life against the fast current, and lift her up so she could see what the Aquafit ladies were doing to their music.
The pool has a lot of neat stuff that makes it entertaining for little kids. Unless we went on a Friday or Saturday afternoon or evening, we often had the place pretty much to ourselves.
The best part of the pool pass was how comfortable my kids became with water. Despite having taught swimming lessons in a previous life, I definitely think that the best way for young kids to learn to swim (initially) is to be in the water frequently. I think the structure of swimming lessons isn't necessary until they're old enough to learn strokes, around age 5 or 6.
During our three months of frequent swimming, Alden learned to swim under water and mastered going down the big water slide (you have to be able to swim to the edge by yourself).
Gracen learned to swim with a noodle and decided she should therefore be
free to roam the pool. She even didn't want me to touch her in the
lazy river. Keeping a close eye on her became difficult as she grew
more fearless.
Eli became comfortable putting his head under the water and learned to jump from the edge without me catching him (but not into water more than chest-deep).
And now our membership has ended.
We're sad but looking forward to next month when the outdoor pools will open!
3 comments:
what a FUN pool!! i want to go swimming there!! I got super jealous of your "heavenly swimming lengths" It is my FAVORITE thing to do. so relaxing and therapeutic!!
Please come here and take my kids swimming so they will be able to be that comfortable in the water!!! I love swimming but my children are scared to death of it. I guess I need to take them a lot this summer - I don't want them to have a fear of the water. :)
my kids need you too Becky! Hadley still doesn't know how to swim without a life jacket.
Post a Comment