Wednesday, March 13, 2013

No News is Good News!

We seem to be in the middle of what's turning out to be a long waiting process.  Baby's heart is still high and we're still trying to figure out a drug that will make it come down.  The good news is that baby seems to be tolerating the stress of the high heart rate really well.  His hydrops hasn't seemed to increase too much and that's a good sign.  I am getting used to the constant drumming of the fetal monitor and am not as emotionally invested in every single impossibly fast beat as I was in the beginning.  The bad news is that the longer it takes to "convert" his heart rate, the more the doctors suspect that this all may be being caused by a heart issue that will still be present at birth.
 
We do a photoshoot (aka a sonogram) pretty much daily and the sonographers are starting to give me great pictures.  This was I think two days ago and we caught him smiling!  Sorry it's blurry, I took a pic of it with the ipod to post it on here. :)  Cutie, huh?  The chubbiness in his face reflects some of the swelling in his body.
He's definitely a fighter.  The doctors are steadily impressed at how well he seems to be handling the stress on his body.
 
Life at the hospital has taken on a routine.  I'm strapped to the fetal monitor all day as well as a telemetric EKG that someone in the Heart Institute on the other side of the hospital monitors around the clock.  Isn't it amazing what they can do these days?!  Sometimes it feels like I'm on house arrest, though. :)  I haven't seemed to have any symptoms from the drugs which is also a good thing.  They have started letting me unhook all the machines to go down to the cafeteria for lunch "on good behavior" I joke.
 
Jaron seems to be coping well with the load at home.  I miss home life SO much!  I miss the little tiny things like Gracen crawling into bed with me first thing in the morning or reading Harry Potter to the boys at night.  I miss the moment when Alden first gets home from school and I wrap him in a big hug.  I even miss preparing meals for my family.  That said, give me three days back home, big and pregnant, and I bet I'll be missing these "relaxing" days at the hospital.
 
No news on when I'll be able to leave the hospital yet.  We of course have to wait for baby's heart to come down and then become stabilized.  After that, they'll play with dosages to figure out the lowest dose that will sustain his heart rate before I can be sent home.  The rest of this pregnancy is sure to be laden with a lot of appointments!!
 
Jaron brought Gracen and Eli this afternoon and I snapped a few pictures to try to capture it.  We painted Gracen's nails a sparkly pink color.  She's so cute and wants me to carry her everywhere when she's here.  She's pretty independent so it's nice to know she misses me. :)  She always asks me if I've had to have any needles and when I tell her "yes" she's very concerned: "Are you okay, mommy?"
 Sweet, sweet little Eli insisted on leaving me with his buddy, Perry.  I was surprised because I know how much Perry means to him!  I love that little Eli so much!
I don't get to see Alden as much since he's in school and the evenings at home are busy.  Next week is spring break, though, so I look forward to being able to see him more.
 
Thank you everybody for your thoughts and prayers!  We have felt so supported during this last week (has it only been a week?!  I think I've aged ten years!).

9 comments:

Nate, Marie & Lilly said...

I'm glad that little one is coping okay and hope they figure out the right medicine soon. I can tell he's gonna be such a cutie. I love reading your posts and how upbeat they are. I have a lot to learn from you. I guess if you've aged 10 years then you're closer to my age now right =). Love you Becky

whitney said...

So glad that both you and the little man are hanging in there! We're keeping you in our prayers!

Amanda Sanderse said...

Thank you for keeping us posted Becky. I check several times a day waiting for your updates. Keep rested and take care of you and that gorgeous baby boy!

Andrea said...

Thanks for all the updates. I am thinking of you constantly and praying that all will go well. Wish I could come and see you.

AKutarna said...

You are being very brave! I wouldn't be able to handle all that stress! We're still thinking about you and praying for you guys. Hopefully you get to go home soon!

Sheffer's said...

I've been wondering how today was going. I'm so glad we got to chat last night. I've missed you. We are all praying for you, and Logan keeps reminding us. :)

Natalie said...

Becky, we love you so much! It was such a joy to be around Gracen and Eli yesterday. They are such sweet children and I know they miss you so much. I am also surprised that Eli left his platypus! I can't imagine how hard this must be for you to be away from your family. But I am so impressed with your strength. We pray for you constantly and hope things get better soon!

Tyler and Kristin Smith said...

No News is good news! Love you and your sweet family.
How grateful I am for modern medicine.
Thinking/praying for you guys still!

Tara said...

Becky! I've just read the last couple posts here on your blog, and I just wanted to let you know my heart goes out to you, and I'll keep you in my prayers. You are inspiring to me in your strength and faith - this is one lucky baby boy to have such a good and strong momma!