Sunday, March 3, 2013

Potions Class and "The Boss"

We seem to be quite the bedtime reading fiends lately.  Each night we read picture books, the Book of Mormon, and now Harry Potter.

In celebration of finishing the first Harry Potter book, we rented the movie from the library and had "potions class."
I got the idea from my mom. When I was young we used to get eggs from the Hutterites and sometimes a few would be cracked.  My mom would let us use the cracked ones and some random kitchen ingredients to make "potions."

The kids loved it and it actually ended up being a great way to clear out some of the stuff from the door of the fridge, like that forever "almost empty" bottle of relish and a leftover bottle of medicine.

 Of course, adding baking soda and vinegar took the potions over the top. :)
 Yum, huh?
 Speaking of yum, I saw these and had to buy them.  I couldn't imagine a more disgusting chip flavor but I had to buy it for the culinary experience.  Haha, my sister says my idea of a "culinary experience" is different from hers. :)  They weren't as gross as I thought they would be but they weren't exactly good either.


And in other news...

 After almost ten years of dedicated service, we retired our vacuum this week.  The reason this deserves a blog mention is because of this vacuum's extraordinary history.  

Way back in our BYUI days, Jaron's friend saved it from being thrown away when the girls' dormitories were getting new vacuums.  He knew we were getting married and figured we could use it.  It was a pretty decent vacuum but we almost got rid of it when we moved to the Caribbean and majorly downsized our stuff.  At the last minute, Jaron's Dad strapped it to the side of the truckload and it was saved.

It has started making funny noises as of late, though, so we decided we'd best get a new vacuum before we leave this large metro area where used stuff is easy to come by on Craigslist.  Sure enough, we found a used Kirby vacuum for a fantastic price.  

Jaron said he didn't feel ethical giving it to charity so "The Boss" went into the dumpster. :)  Goodbye, Eureka!

0 comments: