Friday, August 6, 2010

Thank you Saba!

We are getting closer and closer to leaving this island forever (T-minus 17 days and counting).  I have such mixed feelings as we prepare to leave.  I'm sad we'll be leaving Jaron here for one more semester (5th semester is CRAZY so, among a few other reasons, we are leaving to get out of his way!).  I'm happy that this crazy-tumultuous time of living in such unfamiliar surroundings is drawing to a close.  I'm sad we have to leave the unfamiliar surroundings that have been so neat to get to experience.  I'm happy we get to move closer to family for awhile.  I'm sad at the finality of leaving this island and the friends we've made here possibly forever.  I'm happy my kids will get to do "normal kid" things now like go to church and preschool and have friends their age.  I'm sad I have to leave the ocean.  I'm happy leaving means being one step closer to THE GOAL (which is, in case you were confused by our never-ending studentness, to one day NOT be in school and to have a job instead.).

Like I said, I am having mixed feelings.  I'm happy-sad, I guess!

But I am definitely thankful.

Thank you Saba:

  • for giving me friends from Florida, New York, Louisiana, Ohio, California, Ontario, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, The Netherlands, Iraq, Pakistan, India, Australia, the Ukraine and, of course, the Netherlands-Antilles.
  • for giving me friends who are Catholic, Baptist, Presbyterian, Jewish and Muslim and the opportunity to learn firsthand about these religions in a great atmosphere.
  • for making me appreciate what getting to be American/Canadian really means.
  • for letting me see the stars at night without ANY light pollution.
  • for introducing me to the ocean.
  • for letting me really focus on being a mom.
  • for giving me a new found level of appreciatiation for water - using it whenever I want and always having enough.
  • for making me live on/with less.
  • for the cove.
  • for re-introducing me to my love of baking.
  • for giving me shorts weather year-round.
  • for making me appreciate the changing seasons.
  • for the lizards, snails and crabs that have become everyday things.
  • for Lollipops' bread baked fresh every morning.
  • for countless bananas, lemons, mangoes, mommyfruit, papaya, coconuts and guavas fresh from the tree.
Happy or sad, either way I am sure going to miss this place!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, your stay in Saba has gone so quickly, for me anyway! And it's been so fun to experience all of your adventures through your blog. I'm kind of sad you'll be leaving too! But I'm sure you'll have plenty more adventures where ever you go next!

Tyler and Kristin Smith said...

Well, I have a new-found love for Saba now as well - and I'll probably never get there!
I'm SO glad this adventure has been an excellent one for your family. You guys are so lucky.