Friday, August 13, 2010

Last Hurrah at the Cove (with Jellyfish)


Wednesday was  BEAUTIFUL clear, sunny day.  The top picture is a view of Upper Hell's Gate.  Below it are Statia and St. Maarten.  We can't always see St. Maarten because of the humidity, even though it's only 20 miles away!

We took the opportunity to hit the cove one last time as a group before people started leaving for the break or for good. :-(

The cove was covered in jellyfish again.  It's so strange - I've never seen jellyfish there until this last week and they are all over the place!
I love that I caught Amanda's face right when she dropped it!

They were all over the rocks.  Fortunately we didn't step on any because they say they can sting for a whole day after they're dead.
These ones were bigger than I've ever seen them but I suspect they were dead, even in the water.  I suspect this because 1. None of the kids got stung, even though they were swimming amidst them and 2. They seemed only to be moving wherever the water pushed them!
This one was as big as a small dinner plate and was big enough that I could see the four purple rings inside it that Jaron was telling me was in the larger ones.

But, jellyfish or no jellyfish, we braved the water and had a great time!

1 comments:

Lisha said...

you're braver than me! I guess you get used to things like jellyfish when you live on an island, eh?