Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Tide Pools at Sunset

On one of our last nights on Saba, we took the opportunity to hit the tidepools once more.  It is so much fun having Jaron around.  I forget how nice it is to not have to juggle the kids on my own.  It makes it much easier to go places and much more enjoyable to be at home.  We're sure going to miss him this coming semester!
This time the waves were bigger than the last few times we went and the tidepools were totally changed!
I stood on the edge of this cliff and was awed by the power of nature.  The waves were so strong crashing against the rocks!
I am heart-broken that the kids won't remember picnicking in such splendor!  What an amazing opportunity.  I love this picture because it shows you exactly what a tide pool is - water caught from the tide (or waves in this instance) that stays stagnant after the water recedes.  Often, they soon become teaming with sea life held inside.
As we got to the water's edge, the sun began to set.  The sky and clouds were beautiful.
But the setting sun did make it difficult to take pictures of the tidepools.  I was sad because I really wanted to get a good picture of this one!  It has some coral growing in it.  I bought Jaron an underwater camera so hopefully he gets some good pictures of his snorkeling adventures.  The ocean floor around Saba holds such incredible coral reefs!  I am so grateful I got the chance to go out a few times during our last weeks on Saba.  I got to see tons of coral, big sea urchins, fluorescent fish (I wonder what makes them glow?!), spotted fish, striped fish, and clouds of jellyfish.

0 comments: